Search

Why not just wheat?

In response to Elizabeth's question:

I use the mix of grains mainly because it makes a far more versatile and tasty flour while remaining whole grain. Most, if not all whole wheat bread recipes use at least some expired, bleached white flour along with the whole wheat flour. I don't need to add white flour to my bread, it is all freshly milled whole grain. I don't know what the numbers are, but that's gotta be healthier.

I generally use the six grain mix all the time and have been happy with it's performance in yeast breads, quick breads, muffins, cookies, and even carrot cake. Like I said, It's versatile.

As a rule, the flour produced from this grain mix does not absorbed liquid like white flour does. It doesn't clump up and as a rule of thumb use almost twice as much whole grain flour in any recipe calling for white flour (plus some salt and more leavening i.e., baking soda). This is a HUGE difference than whole wheat flour which generally needs a smaller amount substituted. So think about that. If I'm using twice the amount of freshly ground whole grain flour in my cookie recipes the ratio of good stuff (whole grain) to bad stuff (sugar and fats) is greatly increased therefore much better for you. This makes your cookies much better for you than any processed food meals out there.

That's right, cookies for breakfast, that's what I'm advocating. Better than Lucky Charms any day.

1 comments:

Rachael said...

great post, great blog...

where do you get your grains? Did you say that you order them from Idaho?