Search

The Grain Mix

Here are the grains that I use on a regular basis:

Thanks to our fabulous cousin Debbie who introduced me to this mix in the first place! I have tweaked it some to basically this:

2 parts wheat berries
1 part rye berries
1 part oat groats
1 part hulled barley (not pearled)
1 part millet
1 part brown rice

That is the basic whole grain mix that I put in big 5 gallon buckets. To the basic mix I can then add other grains to it as desired. I have added 1 part spelt in my last batch.

The corn and beans can be added for hot cereal and baking as well, I just haven't done much baking with them yet.

Other grains I would like to try include amaranth, kamut, and teff. If anyone has any insight, I'd love to hear about it.

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

So do you use this in place of whole wheat in your baking? Is it for taste, texture, nutrition or all of the above?

Hudson Family - Memories said...

Ok...First of all thanks for posting all this great info...But you lost me at "amaranth, kamut, and teff." What kind of language are you speaking? LOL!

Joe Hudson